Sunday, June 27, 2010

How Not To Be Popular by Jennifer Zeigler

Sugar Magnolia Dempsey, A.K.A. Maggie, is the daughter of some of the biggest hippies you can find.  Not only are they kind of embarrassing, but they move her around all the time.  When Maggie was younger she found her life adventurous, now that she's older, she finds is cumbersome, to the extreme.  When she moved from Portland to Austin, she left behind her group of friends and her boyfriend.  She knows better this time, she will NOT make friends, she will not get attached, so when she moves again, it won't hurt, and she goes to extremes to achieve this.  However, things go worse than she could have ever imagined.

This book was completely and totally, without a doubt in this world,  awesome.  I downed this book in two sittings.  It was laugh out loud funny, I read the first 2/3rds at one in the morning, and I'm pretty sure I woke someone up (I'm sure some of it can be chocked up to my shriek like laughter, but my laugh has to be induced, does it not?).  It was all very real and believable (I have yet to enter high school, and have been out of a normal school for three years, so I wouldn't know how true the social hierarchy is, but if it's really an exaggerated version of the kind of torture I received in third grade, then my God, she got it completely right.).  Everything worked out as I would imagine it would if the events in the book were to unfold in real life.  I love this book and it really helped take me out of my pre-move depression.

Taryn

No comments: